04 June 2006

Technical Knowledge = NIL!

Yesterday i went to one of the megastores in town area to hunt for the ideal LCD TV. While I read that many forumers got the AMOI brand 37" LCD (1920x1080), I took a look and found the price is still at S$2899. Pretty steep I would say.

I was shocked when i see another 26" is selling for only S$899. I looked around and asked one of the staff if it supports HDMI. To my surprise, he mistook DVI as HDMI. I asked for an assurance, he confirmed that it has HDMI?! Next, I asked if I can use this TV set to receive Terrestial Mediacorp HD broadcast, guess what he said? Yes you can, and you don't need a set top box. I was wondering, for S$899 you can get a 26" LCDTV, with HDMI? and with Digital Tuner built in ? I was about to ask, does it support H.264 AVC level4 , i think he will be blur until ...

I am disappointed by the knowledge of the sales people. Seriously, if you know of any place where I can view or talk to someone who is able to tell me more about the AMOI LCD TVs, drop me a comment.

14 comments:

Kelvin Seet said...

Bro, call up Mr Robert Rong at Amoi on 6458 7611. He'll be able to answer you. I got my Amoi 37" LCD, and so far so good!

hdtv said...

What made you buy the 37" 1920x1024 LCD TV? What was the price you bought it at ?

Kelvin Seet said...

The features and the quality of the image. I bought it at the start of the year for $2999. Which is its current price anyway! :)

Though its a China brand, but its after sales service is excellent. The TV is working well and so far, I'm very happy with it!

What are your thoughts on the TV?

hdtv said...

I think the price is still too steep. After half a yr, the price tag is still S$2899.

I am waiting for prices to drop. Furthermore i would prefer the tv sets to come equip with the tuner built in instead of using a seperate tuner box (kind of ugly).

Anonymous said...

Both DVI and HMDI are digital formats that are compatible. DVI can support HDCP and there are DVI to HDMI conversion cables so no worries. Only major difference is HDMI can carry audio too.

Under S$3000 for an Amoi or Benq or Acer TV that supports native 1080 seems like a reasonably good deal.

Sony will have a 40" LCD that supports 1080p out in a few months.

hdtv said...

Not sure how long i will wait.I feel the urge to get the black panel AMOI 32" which is priced at S$1399. Is it a good choice?

hdtv said...

Kelvin, have you seen the photos posted?

Kelvin Seet said...

Hi hdtv!

Sorry I didn't get back to you! Did you get a HDTV already?

The 37 is better than the 32 for AMOI. But now I think that there are other brands that are more or less equal in specs to the AMOI right? Haven't been checking the market. :)

By the way, what photos do you mean?

Kelvin Seet said...

do you mean those HD photos of Mediacorp's broadcast?

Very nice! But I wasn't selected for the trial, so until today, the only HD I've seen on my TV is HD content from the web.

hdtv said...

Yes. those screen captures from my PC..

Anyway, I just upgraded to E6700 Conroe CPU with new board. The HD is much smoother and eats up less CPU resources.

hdtv said...

Today I went to Harvey Norman. That guy claims that 1920x1080 is not necessary and it costs $10k and above..

What kind of BS is that.. I think Singapore sales man sucks.. They better go and do their home work.

hdtv said...

kelvin, are you still using the AMOI .. Any issues so far?

Anonymous said...

I decided to go for the local Palladine.

Kelvin Seet said...

Hi hdtv!

Yup I'm still using the Amoi!

There was a controller card problem a few months back but they replaced it and charged a nominal fee for it since my 1 year warranty is over.

But so far still so good! But I'm starting to need more HDMI ports! :)

Amazon Deals