22 July 2007

Singtel Mio TV start up cost costs more than S$16.05

Yesterday I analysed whether it is worth subscribing to Mio TV. After much thought, I still feel that the contents are subpar to what Starhub has to offer. Moreover, the start up costs is S$117.

I have to thank an anonymous blogger who highlighted to me that I forgot to add in the costs of the phone line. I almost forget that people these days don't have Fix line at home.

Thus if you intend to subscribe to the most basic mio TV with a few channels + free to air + HD5, you would actually have to pay around S$24 (S$16+$8.33). Also don't forget you need to purchase an ADSL2+ modem (Straits Times says it is a Free Loan). You can head over to Singtel mio site and check that the modem is not loaned out for free. You have to either buy those specific models from Singtel or you can grab one at a cheaper price from auctions sites.

At S$29, I think my Starhub Cable TV offers better channels and contents than Singtel Mio TV. Singtel, maybe you can throw in the ADSL2+ modem for loan and scrap off the S$53.50 activation fee, that will certainly grab some market share.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah.. for me, i have no SingTel fixed line.. look at the startup & monthly cost!

One-time charges
Installation Charge S$ 53.50
ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem S$ 64.20
Telephone line Service Activation Charge S$ 53.50
Telephone Line Cabling Charge S$ 53.50


Total for one-time charges S$ 224.70

Monthly Charges
Channel 50 - Mei Ah Movies Channel (Asia) (1 month) S$ 10.70
BBC Pack (1 month) S$ 12.84
Telephone Line Subscription S$ 8.92
Digital Video Recording S$ 10.70

Total for monthly charges S$ 43.16

I just want the IPTV.. I don't need telephone line, or internet access. why am i being charged for it???

MaungMaung said...

If you just want to watch SD channel then Star hub is better choice. But to watch HD contents, I think sing tel has better package then star hub because they cost almost the same with Singtel providing more HD channels.

hdtv said...

That is true. I subscribed to Equator HD (ch 11) It is amazing. in fact the image quality is impressive. I have never seen anything like that.

Even my old folks are saying "WHOA! never seen anything like that before on TV"

MaungMaung said...

Its not right to blindly compare Starhub cost and Singtel Cost without considering the contents each company is offering. Another thing is they are in two different market while starhub is on normal SD channel flipping one and sing tel on VOD SD+HD. If only situation favors me, i would have subscribe to both. :P

hdtv said...

FYI, I subscribe to both. The problems on the Singtel mio tv is really irritating.

MaungMaung said...

good that you subscribed to two. For me Starhub didnt allow me to have another account as one person in my house has already subscribed to SCV with existing cable point. As for problems with Mio, there will always be problems because Mio use dedicated channel for each user and they tends to have more problem than cable which is shared.

Anonymous said...

I have found the two channels, the cantonese and hokkien channels to be very entertaining. 8+7 = $15 just nice.

Time to cancel the Starhub. that comes with no dialect programming.

Anonymous said...

maung you have flawed logic.

MaungMaung said...
good that you subscribed to two. For me Starhub didnt allow me to have another account as one person in my house has already subscribed to SCV with existing cable point. As for problems with Mio, there will always be problems because Mio use dedicated channel for each user and they tends to have more problem than cable which is shared.

10:44 AM

Anonymous said...

I have found the two channels, the cantonese and hokkien channels to be very entertaining. 8+7 = $15 just nice.

Time to cancel the Starhub. that comes with no dialect programming.

Amazon Deals