13 July 2008

Apple iPhone 3G versus LG Viewty, Samsung Omnia and HTC Touch Diamond

Lately, I have been thinking of geting a touch screen phone. It seems that after Iphone Generation 1, all other manufacturers have come out with various designs using a touch screen interface.

In fact, before Apple iPhone, LG was the first with a touch interface, that is with the LG Chocolate. New incarnations of the touch screen phones from LG includes the LG Viewty which has a full touchs creen interface. There is also a Windows Mobile 6.1 LG KS20 which is also touch screen/stylus operated phone. The newest is the LG Secret also has a similar kind. The LG all come with HSDPA of 7.2mbps.

On the Samsung front, there is the Samsung Omnia SGH-i900. This phone is also based on the Windows Mobile 6.1 and has a touch screen interface with rotation sensor. It also has GPS, Divx playback and tv out + HSDPA of up to 7.2mbps all built into the phone.

The other competitor is the HTC Touch Diamond. It has the best GUI among all the Windows Mobile 6 devices so far. One thing lacking is the lacking of external storage support.

So, what about the iphone 3G ? Basically, it does not have a front lens for video conferencing, it does not indicate what speed the HSDPA runs at. Is it 1.8mbps or 3.6mbps. It is not clearly specified in it's spec sheet. Most importantly, this phone doesn't allow you to videos at all! Really strange.

Here are some videos of the Apple iPhone 3G, Samsung Omnia, HTC Touch Diamond I found on the net. I posted it here for your refernece. Feel free to comment on the topic.







2 comments:

Jimi said...

hey... I too am looking for a touchscreen phone and have only just heard about the Samsung i900 Omnia. The Windows Mobile system put me off a little... I don't use windows in everyday life (neither do I use Mac; I'm a linux user) so I don't see any obvious syncing advantage to Windows Mobile.

However, it is useful for viewing PDFs and office documents. This is one of the main things that is missing from my current phone (W850i), and I'm not sure if the KU990 can do it.

The fact that the i900 has a 3.2 inch screen is also in it's favour... the viewty appealed to me because it has the 2nd biggest screen on the market behind the iPhone (obviously I don't want an iPhone... video is very important to me!) but now the i900 matches the iPhone in that respect.

The only thing putting me off the i900 is the price... t-mobile want £30/month for the Viewty, but for the same plan on the Omnia I'd need make an initial payment of £180.

I don't know which to choose.

hdtv said...

Perhaps you could check out the just released Nokia XpressMusic 5800 Touch screen Symbian phone.

There is a review at http://www.ocworkbench.com (video included).

Amazon Deals